MICA Curatorial Overview
- Hands-on, collaborative, inclusive, and diverse,
- Artist-focused, object-focused, and audience-focused.
- We congregate. We invite. We engage. We discuss. We write. We design. We research. We build.
- Thinking about institutions, social practice, performance, politics, and culture.
- At the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) , graduate and undergraduate courses in exhibition-making lead to student-curated community-focused exhibitions and programming that address important issues with far-reaching implications for artists, individuals, and communities.
MICA's Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Curatorial Practice prepares students to take a responsible approach to the expanding role curators play in creating a vibrant cultural life in the 21st century's global society. Designed to forge connections among art, artists, and the community, the program's collaborative and individual curatorial projects allow students to explore new methods of exhibition presentation—thinking outside of traditional models and training to create relevant, timely, and accessible exhibitions for their audiences. New models include considering the surrounding community or history of the venue as inspiration when organizing exhibitions. This innovative graduate program is the first MFA in Curatorial Practice in the United States.
The Curatorial Studies Concentration at MICA is offered as a result of a growing interest and stated need for a professional development opportunity that expands students’ experiences, research, and knowledge in the field of museum and curatorial practice. The concentration is intentionally interdisciplinary in its structure, choices, and experiences, and it is open to students in all majors. Required courses include the Exhibition Development Seminar and an internship in an appropriate field. Elective courses may be drawn from a wide range of relevant courses offered in the undergraduate degree program, Division of Continuing Studies, and by area colleges participating in MICA’s academic exchange program.